The warm weather is finally back for good! Let your child take advantage of the warm weather with some easy-to-organize activities. Here are a few ideas that will allow you to introduce your child to the outside world, while staying close to home:
*As with any activity with a young child, constant adult supervision is a must!
1. Water games: Toddlers love water! Provide them with a kiddie pool or a simple tub filled with a little water in which to play with toys such as a small watering can, a net and catch set, squirting toys, a kiddie pool, clean sponges, etc. This is a refreshing time to explore and develop motor skills! Baby is under 6 months old? You can put him on the Angelcare bathing stand in the kiddie pool. Under your supervision, he will have fun in complete safety.
2. Mommy and baby exercise: The weather is nice and you want to stay in shape outdoors? There are several options available to you. Brisk walking or jogging with baby in the stroller is still a good cardiovascular workout. If your child is old enough, you can also go for a walk using a trailer that you attach to your bike.
For strength training, just follow a routine where your child is your body weight! Check out free videos on YouTube or get inspired by exercises suggested by sports coaches (and moms) on social media!
3. Sensory games: your child will be happy to develop his senses outdoors!
In your backyard or at the park, let them smell flowers, let them touch different textures of nature, listen to and locate birds, have them take their snack or drink outside.
4. Run: Obstacle courses are great for your toddler’s psychomotor development. With materials you already have at home, you can create a challenging course that your child will want to do over and over again.
For example, take coloured cardboard boxes to go around, a rope to climb over, streamers to crawl under and a tunnel to go through (a sheet supported by two chairs can work well). Let your imagination run wild!
5. Draisian: Your toddler has passed the tricycle stage, but is not yet ready to use a bike with small wheels? The draisienne is just the thing! This bike without pedals allows your child to have fun while developing his balance, thus preparing him for the 4-wheel bike.
Each outing in the great outdoors with your baby becomes an opportunity to see him blossom and to enjoy a new environment that is conducive to learning.
Have fun with your family!