Life as a couple takes work to make it last. Staying together forever is not an impossible concept, but it is difficult to accomplish without knowing what to do. To understand the recipe of couples who stay together forever, here are the 20 secrets of a couple that lasts.
1. Never underestimate the importance of asking your partner how his or her day went: at the end of the day, you find yourself washed out and exhausted. It’s always good to vent to your partner and to be listened to. That’s why it’s important to ask your partner how the day went. It is this kind of small attention that makes a relationship!
2. Arguments don’t automatically mean a break-up: it is normal for a couple to argue from time to time! The most important thing is to know how to communicate your problem and try to find a common solution. If the relationship is really solid, it should not lead to a breakup.
3. Accept the fact that a relationship comes with certain obligations: sometimes you won’t want to do certain things like go to an event related to your partner’s work, see his friends… but you will have to make concessions for the well-being of your relationship and your partner. When you agree to do things that are not fun for you in order to please your partner, you show that you value your partner.
4. Be honest and point out non-negotiable obligations: sure, some obligations are non-negotiable like family dinners… but you can skip the night out with friends! Just be honest about the really distracting obligations and try to find common ground if possible.
5. It’s the little things that make a relationship: don’t underestimate the importance of the little gifts that come unexpectedly. Chocolate, flowers, his favorite meal … these small gestures break the monotony of everyday life and give balm to the heart of your half, so do not hesitate to do so.
6. You don’t have to have the same friends: understand that you don’t have to be in the same group of friends, especially if your partner doesn’t have chemistry with yours. Having your own space and friends like you did when you were single is good for both of you.
7. Kiss your partner: this is not really a secret but, kissing your partner is an essential ritual in a couple. Doing so before going to work and after a hard day’s work is an active part of your relationship’s well-being.
8. Prefer to spend time with your partner: there will be times when refusing an invitation to go out will be appropriate. Why? Simply to show your partner that you prefer to spend time with him/her. Show them that they matter more than anyone else.
9. Love their family as if they were your own: if your partner’s family sees that you consider them as your own family, this can only be a good thing. It will make them happy and most of all it will make your partner happy. A beautiful family is an important element if you want to stay in a strong and lasting relationship.
10. Endless “I love you’s”: Saying “I love you’s” to your partner at any time and on any occasion is never a bad thing! So express your love as much as possible.
11. Be empathetic when your partner is sick: when your partner gets sick, don’t hesitate to show your sympathy and especially to be attentive. No one likes to get sick or does it on purpose. So be attentive to your partner’s needs. You can bring him a good soup or go to the pharmacy to bring him the medicines he needs. Pampering him or her will make him or her very happy.
12. Do your partner’s chores when he/she has too much work: nobody likes doing chores, but sometimes you will have to do not only yours but also your partner’s. If your partner is overwhelmed by a mountain of work and you decide to lighten his or her list of chores, you’ll be happy and you’ll be able to spend more time together. Plus, he or she will certainly return the favor when you need it.
13. Don’t make fun of each other: It is imperative that you be respectful of each other in public as well as in private. Bad jokes and nastiness should be avoided.
14. Be punctual: if you have an outing with your partner, either alone or with other people, it is very important to be punctual. You will avoid offending him/her and minimize arguments.
15. Defend your partner: sometimes when someone verbally attacks your partner, you play the polite card and try not to intervene. However, at some point you will have to step in and defend your partner. After all, you have to be there for each other.
16. Keep your partner informed of your whereabouts: Keeping your partner informed of your outings does not mean that you are asking for permission. Absolutely not! This is purely a gesture of consideration! also it will allow you to go about your business without your other half spending the evening worrying.
17. Pick up the phone when they call you: If your partner calls or texts you, don’t ignore them! If he contacts you, it could be important! Also, it should be a priority.
18. Avoid arguing during your travels: you will travel together to relax and change air in love. However, you will have to avoid getting angry or carried away if some things are not exactly as you wanted. Enjoy your trip with your loved one and if there are any unforeseen events, tell yourself that in a few years you will laugh about it!
19. Be spontaneous: Being spontaneous in a relationship gives a new lease of life to the relationship and helps you break the routine. So arrange a last-minute dinner date or surprise him with tickets to a concert. Sometimes a little spontaneity is a breath of fresh air.
20. Just love yourself: sometimes it’s enough to simply love the person as he or she is, to accept and appreciate his or her qualities and faults and above all to do your best to transmit your love to your partner.
Sometimes all it takes is a lot of love and attention to a few details to make a relationship last. If you apply these secrets, the results can only be positive.